Login

Login Close
---

---
A+ A A-

Balch House

The Balch House

In 1887, Samuel Balch began to hew tulip poplar logs into a single story dog-trot house. Originally located in Nebo (now New Hope), Alabama, the house was the centerpiece of a 160 acre farm. To meet his growing family's need for additional space, Samuel added to the house in 1898. He enclosed the trot to form a central hall and added a half-story to the original log structure. By owning a sawmill, he could afford to cover the house in clapboard siding and expand the original log structure to include a guest bedroom and post office.

© 2014 Burritt on the Mountain; All rights reserved.